The balloon shapes in the Up & Away thinlets dies have been on my mind and on my craft table for some time now. I have had a few ideas knocking around in my head and just finished this wreath about a week ago.
If you are questioning where the Up & Away balloons are, they are the petals and the leaves. The little heart die from this was also used for the Rich Razzleberry flower center as a Flirty Flamingo accent before placing the pom-pom.
The balloon dies are manipulated by rolling the edges with a marker (I used the project life pen because it was handy), and sometimes center cut (see picture) in order to get more dimension in the leaves.
How many petals or leaves I used was a personal preference as I worked with each flower, but each had 5 or more balloon petals.
The paper centers were made with 3/4″x8.5″ paper strips, scissors, and tear tape and petals were then built around them using tear tape as well. *Note: If creating something for an area with great temperature changes you may wish to use a different glue, perhaps even a hot glue, for these conditions.
The wreath itself is just a simple Styrofoam form I bought at the dollar store and wrapped in yarn I had leftover from a knitting project. I’ve attached the completed flowers to the form with headpins (trying to hide them well) so that I may later remove the flowers and reuse the yarn-wrapped wreath form for another season, if I choose.
I chose my colors based on the large poppy flower which I first made as the center point-It is Calypso Coral with a black center. All leaves are Emerald Envy. Other flowers utilize Marina Mist, Wisteria Wonder, Flirty Flamingo, and Rich Razzleberry.
The pom-pom centers were made with leftover Flirty Flamingo thick baker’s twine (from a Paper Pumpkin kit), but remember any white thick baker’s twine can be dyed with reinkers to the colors of your choosing.
I still haven’t figured out where I will hang this wreath, because I want to put it in more than one location! It will certainly brighten up the rest of this winter and usher in Spring.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this project.
Until next time…